The Seven Thunders are mentioned in Revelation 10 and are important to understand.
4 Now when the seven thunders uttered their voices, I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, “Seal up the things which the seven thunders uttered, and do not write them.” (Rev. 10:4)
Like the rest of the book of Revelation, the divine information related to the scroll is for all who have ears to hear. But the prophetic messages that are uttered by the “seven thunders” (possibly the thunderous voice of God Himself as “thunderings” proceeded directly from His throne) are not for all – they have specific application to exhort and encourage the final generation before the Second Coming and thus must be sealed until the end – an allusion to Daniel 12:9 –
And he said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.” (Dan. 12:9)
- These prophetic messages will not contain new information, but are specific encouragements for the end-time church and exhortations to the rebellious nations related to the perfection of God’s prophetic plan (signified by the “seven” thunders). The point of these messages is not that they will contain some new, unique “twist” on scripture but that they will be surgical in their purposes related to that time-frame in human history.
- The allusion is to the passage, but also to the person – Daniel, whom John the apostle is most similar to in calling and character – as the two who are “greatly beloved”. John, like Daniel, is being commissioned yet again to carry a significant and weighty message for the nations as well as for his people. This is to be the calling and character of many who are part of the mercy strategy of God at the end of the age – to fill the earth with these messengers who carry the five-fold anointing to accompany messages of surgical precision and accuracy.
The time frame of the Prophetic Messengers:
5 The angel whom I saw standing on the sea and on the land raised up his hand to heaven 6 and swore by Him who lives forever and ever…that there should be delay no longer, (Rev. 10:5-6)
- This is another allusion to the book of Daniel (related to the sealing of the message):
And one said to the man clothed in linen… “How long shall these wonders be?” Then I heard…when he held up his right hand and his left hand to heaven, and swore by Him who lives forever, that it shall be for a time, times, and half a time…(Dan. 12:6-7)
- These words are to be an anchor of hope and expectancy for those who are undergoing the great trial of Dan. 12:1 – that there will now “be delay no longer” as it relates to the events that follow in Dan. 12:2-3.
- The “time of the end” is now at hand, and those whose power has been “completely shattered”, as well as those saints who are still alive on the earth, must be told that the next phase of history is about to begin with the ending of the tribulation of the saints and the beginning of the second coming of Jesus to the earth.
- This is his kindness to all – to cut these days of great tribulation short, so that some “flesh” might be saved, or spared from the trauma of death to experience the glory and beauty of Jesus on earth (Matt. 24:22) – that the “elect”, or the unsaved remnant of Israel, might escape or emerge intact that the fullness of Israel might usher in greater glory for the nations of the earth that rejected them. This is a key aspect (not the fullness) of the “mystery of God” – that the nations (Gentiles) might be fully reconciled and joined in unity to Israel (Jews) (Rom. 11:25)
7 but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God (purpose, plans, and person) would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets. (Rev. 10:7)
- “But in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound…” – this does not primarily speak of the days following the sounding of the seventh trumpet (as in continuous trumpet blasts throughout the rapture of the church) but is speaking of the days leading up to the sounding of the seventh trumpet, or the final days that mark the completion of the “mystery of God.”
- “…The mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets.” This is speaking of the mystery of God that encompassed more than a message or an idea – the veil of mystery that separates God (and the supernatural realm) from men is about to be removed, and all the mysterious nature of God encompassed by His person, purposes, and plans are about to be made known. The mystery is finished – that which has been hidden from men, shrouded in mystery revealed only to the hungry – will now be expressed clearly to all.
- This does not mean that all mysteries will be revealed, or that the mystery will be complete – the process of “the restoration of all things” related to this mysterious dimensions of God’s purposes and plans that Paul often spoke of (i.e. the Gospel, the one new man, etc.) takes 1000 years under the leadership of Jesus. This means that the mysterious hiddenness of God will be finished – believer and unbeliever will all testify to the reality of God and His plans to fellowship with men in fullness.
Jer 30:24 speaks of the Eph 1:17 Holy Spirit revelation of the End-times that is perfect and anointed. This is available for us now living in the final generation the Lord will return to. It takes not a scholarly background, but a humble attitude and a little fasting as led. Take each Scripture and ask for revelation, read commentaries or teachings, journal your findings, lead study groups. This book is for you more than for those who have came before you.
2 He [mighty angel] had a little book open in his hand. And he set his right foot on the sea and his left foot on the land … 3 When he cried out, seven thunders uttered their voices [messages]. 4 When the seven thunders uttered their voices, I was about to write; but I heard a voice … saying, “Seal up the things which the seven thunders uttered, and do not write them.” (Rev. 10:2-4)
A. This little open book is not the same as the Father’s book taken by Jesus (Rev. 5:7). The little book contains only part of the prophetic information contained in the Father’s book. 7 thunders were angelic beings speaking the words of the Holy Spirit, divine information.
B. An open book reveals that the contents in it are knowable. The angel probably read its contents to release the seven thunders. John understood the seven prophetic messages enough to be able to write them. However, he was told to seal them until the end times. This indicates that the seven prophetic messages in the little book would not be made known until the end times. He was ready to write as it was important information.This was similar to what happened to Daniel earlier when he sealed up his prophecies (Dan. 12:4, 9)
4 Daniel … seal the book until the time of the end … 7 He [angel] held up his right hand … and swore by Him who lives forever, that it shall be for a time, times, and half a time [31/2 years] … 9 For the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end … 10 None of the wicked shall understand, but the wise [forerunners] shall understand. (Dan. 12:4-10)
C. When a book is “opened,” it implies that its prophetic information is being made known in widespread way. When it is “sealed,” it implies that its information is kept private until later.
D. Daniel 10-12 is a parallel passage to Revelation 10-13. Daniel sealed up prophetic information with an angel of similar glory with a similar oath related to the same 31/2 years (Dan. 12:4-10).
E. It is possible that the prophetic book that Daniel sealed was now being opened to John. If that is true, then the remainder of the book of Revelation (Rev. 11-22) is the contents of Daniel’s book. In other words, the book that Daniel sealed is now being made known to John.
F. Some see the seven thunders, instead of Revelation 11-22, as the contents of what was written in Daniel’s book. If that were so, it seems that the angel would have roared the contents instead of the thunders voicing it. Either way, God wants us to know that there is prophetic information that He will reveal in the end times as His people seek Him for it, as John and Daniel did.
G. I believe that God will give to those who ask, and eat the scroll, which is to study Revelation and Daniel with a heart of devotion. They must also be in the generation the Lord will return too, which I believe is our generation.
THE END-TIME RELEASE OF THE SEVEN THUNDER MESSENGERS
5 The angel whom I saw … raised up his hand to heaven 6 and swore by Him who lives forever and ever … that there should be delay no longer, 7 but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished (Rev. 10:5-7)
A. The angel swore by God’s Person (eternity, sovereignty): God will show His sovereign power.
B. No more delay: the second coming is the next in the chronological section (Rev. 11:15). (The Greek word for delay can mean both delay or time.)
C. The mystery of God finished: Jesus will rule the earth with His people (Dan. 7:13-27)
D. During the days of the sounding of the seventh angel: the thirty-day period in which Jesus’ second coming procession and the release of the seven bowl judgments come to completion.
E. For the thirty-day time frame, compare the days signified in Revelation 11:2-3; 12:6, 14; 13:5; and Daniel 7:25; 12:7, 11. The angel will be “about to sound” the trumpet near the end of the Great Tribulation.