I. TEN PRAYERS TO RECEIVE STRENGTH IN THE INNER MAN: F-E-L-L-O-W-S-H-I-P
16 To be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man… (Eph. 3:16)
- F- Fear of God: Father, release the spirit of the fear of God into my heart. Release the lightning and thunder from Your Throne to strike my heart (Rev. 4:5) with Your majesty, that I might live in awe before You. Release Your presence and holy dread that makes me tremble before You.
Unite my heart to your heart and Word and cause me to delight in the fear of God.
40 I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me. (Jer. 32:40)
13 The Lord…you shall hallow; let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread. (Isa. 8:13)
11 Unite my heart (to Your heart and Word) to fear Your name. (Ps. 86:11)
3 His delight is in the fear of the LORD… (Isa. 11:3)
- E- Endurance (patience): Father, strengthen my spirit with endurance that I may do Your will with zeal and diligence and that I not quit pursuing the deep things of God. Impart endurance for fasting. Direct my heart into the endurance in which Jesus walked. This is a prayer for strength to follow through in my commitments to God and to fulfill my ministry calling when it is difficult.
11 Being strengthened with all power…may have great endurance and patience… (Col. 1:11 NIV)
5 May the Lord direct your hearts into…the patience (endurance) of Christ. (2 Thes. 3:5)
1. It takes the power of God to not quit. If you do not quit in your fervent pursuit you win.
17 It was written, “Zeal for Thy house will consume me (Jesus).” (Jn. 2:17, NAS)
9 Zeal for Your house has eaten me (David) up…10 I wept and chastened my soul with
fasting that became my reproach. 11 I made sackcloth my garment… (Ps. 69:9-11)
2. Lord, give me Your zeal as You gave it to Phineas.
11 Phinehas…was zealous with My zeal among them… (Num. 25:11)
- L- Love: Father, pour out Your love into my heart by releasing the influences of the Spirit to give me revelation of Your love for me, that it may overflow in love back to You and to others.
5 The love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit… (Rom. 5:5)
9 I pray, that your love may abound still more…in knowledge and all discernment. (Phil. 1:9)
5 May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God… (2 Thes. 3:5)
6 Set Me (Jesus) as a seal on your heart…for love is as strong as death…its flames are flames of fire…7 Many waters cannot quench love, nor can floods drown it. (Song 8:6-7)
1. Father, impart Your love for Jesus in my heart (Jn. 17:26). I agree with Jesus’ prophecy
(Mt. 22:37) to receive grace to love God with all my heart and soul and mind.
26 …That the love with which You loved Me may be in them… (Jn. 17:26)
37 You shall love the Lord…with all your heart…soul…and mind. (Mt. 22:37)
2. Father, allow me to comprehend Jesus’ love for me and to abide in it (stay connect to it).
18 That you…may be able to comprehend…what is the width and length and depth and height…19 to know (experience) the love (affection) of Christ… (Eph. 3:18-19)
9 As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. (Jn. 15:9)
3. Let me see and love myself through Your eyes. Thank you for who I am to You.
13 You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. 14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought… (Ps. 139:13-15)
4. Father, “I agree with Jesus’ command and prophecy in Mt. 22:39 that I will love others.”
Let me abound in love by seeing what You see and feeling what You feel about others.
39 …You shall love your neighbor as yourself. (Mt. 22:39)
12 May the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another… (1 Thes. 3:12)
- L- Light of glory: Father, let me see the light of Your glory or to encounter the “glory realm”.
Give me Holy Spirit encounters (dreams, visions, angelic visitations, manifestations of light, fire, wind) as You gave to Moses, Isaiah, Ezekiel and John (Ex. 33; 34:29-30; Isa. 6; Ezek. 1; Rev. 1).
6 A great light from heaven shone around me…8 He said to me, “I am Jesus of Nazareth…”
11 I could not see for the glory of that light…I came to Damascus. (Acts 22:6-11)
18 And he (Moses) said, “Please, show me Your glory.” (Ex. 33:18)
6 Lord, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us. (Ps. 4:6)
16 His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. (Rev. 1:16)
3 Send out Your light and truth! Let them lead me…bring me to Your holy hill… (Ps. 43:3)
3 Restore us, O God; cause Your face to shine, and we shall be saved! (Ps. 80:3)
51 You shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending… (Jn. 1:51)
17 I pray, open his eyes that he may see. Then the LORD opened the eyes of the young man…the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. (2 Kgs. 6:17)
- O- One thing life focus: Father, strengthen me to maintain a life in Your word with desire for it.
When I lose this focus, send Your word to deliver me as You did for the saints at Ephesus, Sardis and Laodicea (Rev. 2:4-5; 3:1-3; 3:15-20). Alert me when I need to recommit my schedule and priorities to live as a person of one thing who regularly sits at Your feet, as Mary of Bethany did. Busyness, guilt and despair cause fervent believers to drift from their fervency.
42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part… (Lk. 10:42)
4 One thing I have desired…all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord. (Ps. 27:4)
8 I have set the Lord always before me…He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. (Ps. 16:8)
- W- Count me worthy (faithfulness unto fullness): Father, strengthen me to walk in a way that You would consider me worthy to walk in my highest calling and escape all compromise that I might stand before You victorious in full obedience.
11 We pray always for you that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of His goodness and the work of faith with power… (2 Thes. 1:11)
36 Watch…and pray always that you may be counted worthy (prepared) to escape all these things (sins of v. 34)…to stand (in victory) before the Son of Man. (Lk. 21:36)
1. No one is “worthy” to receive forgiveness which is a free gift because of Jesus’ worthiness. Rather, we are to have a worthy response to God by living free of compromise, thus prepared or worthy to walk in the fullness of our calling.
2. The opposite of having a worthy response is to waste or receive God’s grace in vain.
1 We…plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain. (2 Cor. 6:1)
3. Help keep me free of compromise that I would walk blameless body, soul and spirit.
23 May the God of peace sanctify you completely; may your spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless (without compromise) at the coming of our Lord… (1 Thes. 5:23)
13 That He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before God… (1 Thes. 3:13)
4. We agree with David’s prayers to walk in purity.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit in me. (Ps. 51:10)
17 Your people…offer willingly to You. 18 O LORD…keep this forever in the intent of the thoughts of the heart of Your people, and fix their heart toward You. 19 And give my son Solomon a loyal heart to keep Your commandments… (1 Chr 29:17-19)
1 Save me, O God! The waters have come up to my neck. 2 I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing; I have come into deep waters…the floods overflow me. (Ps. 69:1-2)
5. We agree with David’s holy resolve to set nothing impure before his eyes.
3 I will set nothing wicked before my eyes… (Ps. 101:3)
1 I have made a covenant with my eyes; why should I look on a woman? (Job 31:1)
6. Lead me from the storm of temptation, rescue me from its deep waters, and cleanse me from secret faults (Ps. 19:12; 69:1-2). Search me and show me my heart (Ps. 139:23).
13 Do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. (Mt. 6:13)
15 That You should keep them from the evil one. (Jn. 17:15)
12 Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from secret (unperceived) faults. (Ps. 19:12)
23 Search me, O God, and know (reveal) my heart; try me, and know my anxieties… (Ps. 139:23)
- S– Speech: Father, set a guard over my lips. Free me from defensive, angry and foolish speech (Eph. 4:29; 5:4). “Sustained communion with God requires restrained conversation with man.”
2 If one does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body. (Jas. 3:2)
3 Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. (Ps. 141:3)
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable… (Ps. 19:14)
1. The Spirit is quenched in our life by unwholesome speech (filthy, foolish, coarse jesting).
29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. 30 Do not grieve the Holy Spirit…
5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting… (Eph. 4:29-5:4)
2. I set my heart to not sin with my speech (Ps. 17:3; 39:1).
3 I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress. (Ps. 17:3)
1 I said, “I will guard my ways, lest I sin with my tongue; I will restrain my mouth with a muzzle, while the wicked are before me.” (Ps 39:1)
- H- Humility: Jesus, I want to learn from You how to walk in lowliness. I commit to take Your yoke of humility (lowliness of heart) on my life in my attitudes, speech, and actions. Give me wisdom on how to carry my heart in humility.
29 Take My yoke…and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart… (Mt. 11:29)
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself…5 Let this mind be in you which was in Christ… (Phil. 2:3-5)
- I- Insight unto intimacy (wisdom): Father give me insight into Your Word, will, and ways. Give me wisdom on how to live before You that I may walk in intimacy (union) with You.
17 May give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him… (Eph. 1:17)
9 Ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 that you may have a walk worthy of the Lord… (Col. 1:9-10)
1. Father, “Give me insight that I may walk under the Spirit’s leadership that we may partner together in every issue in my life including my finances, schedule, emotions, circumstances, physical body (diet, health), relationships (in the home, office, ministry), my future, fears, addictions, etc. Give me new ideas in each area of my life”.
26 The Holy Spirit…will teach you all things… (Jn. 14:26)
2. Father, I long to walk in the fullness of Your will in every area of my life.
12 Epaphras…always laboring fervently for you in prayers that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God. (Col. 4:12)
3. Let me know the secrets of Your heart (Ps. 25:14). What are You thinking and feeling?
4 Show me Your ways…teach me Your paths. 5 Lead me in Your truth…14 The secret of the LORD is with those who fear Him… (Ps. 25:4-5, 14)
4. We ask for the Spirit’s insight into God’s end-time purposes (Dan. 11:35; 12:10), eternity, the New Jerusalem, the judgment seat of Christ, and hell.
13 The Spirit…will guide you into all truth; He will tell you things to come. (Jn. 16:13)
22 O Daniel, I have now come forth to give you skill to understand. (Dan. 9:22)
20 The anger of the LORD (end-time judgments) will not turn back until He has executed and performed the thoughts of His heart. In the latter days you will understand it perfectly. (Jer. 23:20)
- P- Peace and Joy: Father, strengthen my heart with supernatural peace and joy that overpowers fear and anxiety that I would not sin. Sin grows fastest when fear or anxiety works strongly in us.
7 The peace of God…will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:7)
13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope (confidence) by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Rom. 15:13)
16 Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. (2 Thes. 3:16)
II. ESTABLISHING AN OVERALL PRAYER LIFE: THREE CATEGORIES
- Prayer for my personal life: breakthrough of God’s glory (strength, favor, etc.) on my innerman, in my circumstances (physical, financial and relational) and through my ministry as God’s power is released through my hands, His authority through my words (singing, preaching, conversations) and prophetic revelation to help others (1 Cor. 14:25)
- Prayer for people and places: individuals, ministries, marketplace and governmental authorities, and the destiny of cities or nations (Israel, Egypt, YWAM, GOD TV, etc.).
- Prayer for strategic social issues: justice (abortion, human trafficking), civil unrest (riots), natural disasters (hurricane, drought), disease (AIDS, Avian bird flu), social crisis (famine, terrorism, genocide, etc.) or economic crisis, etc.
Three main prayer themes: gifts of the Spirit (God’s power/favor); fruit of the Spirit (character); wisdom of the Spirit (insight, revelation). Most prayer requests fit into one of these 3 themes.
- A foundational Kingdom principle is that God releases more blessing as we ask Him. He knows all of our needs (Mt. 6:32), but requires that we ask Him for increased blessing, because it causes us to interact with His heart. To ask implies that we verbalize our prayers, not just think on them.
2 You do not have because you do not ask. (Jas 4:2)
6 In everything by prayer…let your requests be made known to God… (Phil. 4:6)
- Our highest call is to fellowship with God, so we use the acronym F-E-L-L-O-W-S-H-I-P, which combines the three main prayer themes of gifts (power), fruit (character) and wisdom (insight) for our inner man (mind, emotions and will), into one prayer list with 10 specific prayer requests.
3 Truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. (1 Jn. 1:3)
- What happens in our inner man is what determines the quality of our fellowship with God and is the only that thing we bring from this life to the age-to-come. Our inner man is our most important aspect of life, yet it usually is the most neglected prayer focus.
- These ten requests are based God’s promises that require the work of the Spirit on our heart.
- I recommend all to schedule prayer times and to establish prayer lists to provide focus to their prayer time. Most will pray ten times more with a schedule that establishes when they pray and a prayer list that focuses them on what to pray. Many who love Jesus never develop a prayer life because they lack the practical aspects of scheduling prayer time and having a prayer list.
- I take liberty to leave my prayer list or omit parts of it as the “winds of inspiration” touch me.